Friday, September 5, 2008

We Have Come a Long Way....

This is a historical Presidential election. I hope that we can all appreciate the history that was made last week by nominating an African American for the President of the United States. I was born in 1952 and my husband was born in 1941. In our lifetime, we have gone from my husband, being Hispanic, not being allowed to go into "white only" stores in Texas to this. And this week a woman has been nominated for the vice presidency. I believe that voters on both sides are excited to vote this year. While we have a very long way to go, we have come a long way, and we as parents and grandparents have the opportunity to teach our children to be race and gender blind. This is exciting! Vote!!!!!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Your grandchildren are so, so, sooo lucky to have you for their Beya! Great post!!

Cameo said...

Thank you for not chickening out beya!!! I love you.

SaraG said...

Amen!!! Great great post.

Jaimee said...

Amen Sister! That is a great post. And I'm so relieved tht my children Half-Mexican, Half-Caucasion and Guatemalan, will be able to grow up thinking this is the norm.

-Jaimee

Kerry said...

Amen!

Trina G. said...

Great post Mom. It IS exciting! Can't wait to hang this weekend.

Grama said...

Beya/Bobbi
You are such a wonderful lady. I am so privelaged to know you. I have such a hard time understanding prejudices. I imagine it is how the person was raised.
Love you
Sandi

URBAN BLONDE said...

Coming from a country who has had a woman as it's leader, I say this is so long overdue for you in the USA!

Color of skin, gender OR religion should never be a barrier. My kids, (18 and 23) see this election as the norm. They don't realize how far we've come (like those of us who've been around a lot longer) LOL

I am so hopeful for your country's future. It is exciting! I hope everyone does exercise their right and VOTE!

Blondie

Jill said...

I love you Beya... I say BEYA for VP!

Sig said...

You are so very lucky. We all are. And AMEN for our next President being "not white". I am very excited about that ;)

The Frugal Countess said...

Go Beya! Awesome post! xoxoxox